intensive dutch course for higher educated adults
at our language campus in Drenthe
course + accommodation (optional)
2-week intensive blocks, 6 different levels
a proven engaging & efficient approach
350 participants/year from all over the world
recognitions: NRTO, CRKBO, Bildungsurlaub
pay with your STAP-budget (if you’re eligible)
Intensive Dutch course: it’s all about focus!
A Dutch language course once or twice a week after a busy day at work?! This way, it might take ages to reach the next level … especially in a group where people skip class or don’t do the homework.
Therefore: make learning Dutch a priority!
Leave the hassle of your daily live behind. Join us in an inspiring and fun learning environment, that expands beyond the classroom! Join a group in which everyone is committed to learn Dutch fast!
And if you’re travelling from another country, you have all you need: courses + on-site accommodation.
Every year about 300-350 people from all over the world participate in the Dutch Summer School. Have a look at the pictures and testimonials.
The minimum age is 18 years. About 30% is below 25, 40% between 25-40, and 30% is above 40 years old.
Participants come from all over the over the world, no specific nationalities are overrepresented. Half are expats living in the Netherlands. The other half travels from abroad to do this course.
Relocation, work, study, civic integration exam, Dutch roots and/or relatives. On the higher levels: mainly to improve the positions at the labour market.
Instruction language & education level
Command of the English language is obligatory on the levels 0, A1 and A2 (instruction language). On the higher levels, the teacher speaks only Dutch. The course is fast-paced aimed at higher educated learners.
If you can’t visit our language campus in summer:
We have a (small) Dutch Summer School in Amsterdam. It’s just the intensive Dutch course. No accommodation, and no social interaction outside the lessons. If you’re not looking for the group experience or you just prefer to sleep in your own bed, then this might be the right choice.
Rest of the year
Especially for the people who would like to have an efficient use of their holidays: we offer the same programme as a 9-day course (weekend+week+weekend) in January / March / April / May / October / November. You’ll have the full course, you you’ll need to ask only 1 week off of work. Visit dutchwinterschool.nl.
If you have different plans to spend your holidays: we offer the same educational programme online. Two evenings per week. It’s definitely not as fun as an in-person course. And you’ll miss out on all the social interaction outside the lessons! But it’s still surprisingly effective. Learn more about our Virtual Classrooms.
Programme & prices 2023
– level 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6
(read: level descriptions)
– location & date
– accommodation (optional)
– 1 or more sessions
Levels are successive. If you choose more than 1 session: make a separate booking for the next level at a later date.
Example: if you want to do a 4-week course starting from beginner, book level 1 (starting 3 July) + level 2 (starting 17 July).
Learn more about the difference between July/August vs rest of the year.
The prices of offline courses include: coffee/tea/water during lessons, access to online package #dutchgrammar-1, #dutchgrammar 2 and #dutchgrammar-3 (from 1 month before the course until 1 month after the course). Book not included (€ 39).
* 1 academic hour = 45 minutes.
The prices above include taxes in case applicable:
– levels 1 & 2 are excempt from VAT as ‘general language education’
– levels 3, 4, 5, 6 are excempt from VAT as ‘vocational education with CRKBO registration’
– accommodation prices include 9% VAT and tourist tax
If you book with the STAP-budget: only educational costs are covered by the STAP-budget, extra costs like accommodation you pay yourself.
– NRTO Terms and conditions
– NRTO Code of conduct
– Complaint procedure
– Student requirements
– Other relevant information
– Which courses can be paid?
– What are the conditions?
– How to apply with STAP?
– When to apply?
Live and Study together!
The Language Campus is:
- a group of school-owned buildings at a holiday park in Drenthe
- consisting of 2 group buildings and 10 holiday houses, renovated in 2022
- room options:
– shared room, shared bathroom
– single room, shared bathroom
– single room, private bathroom
– double room, private bathroom
- leave the hassle of your daily life behind to focus on your studies
- join a group of like minded people who all have a priority to learn Dutch
- study in a quiet nature environment
- live together with other students in holiday houses
- classrooms + residence in one place (no travel time)
- affordable programme: group courses + shared accommodation
- self catering (to keep it affordable)
Click here for more information about our Language Campus.
Our own method (levels 0, A1, A2, B1, B2)
We developed own learning method: Het Lesboek. Lesboek 1 for level 1+2 (0-A2), Lesboek 2 for 3+4 (A2-B1) and Lesboek 3 for level 5+6 (B1/B2). This method integrates with Bart de Pau’s online materials (the online course #dutchgrammar and the ‘Heb je zin?’ videos where Dutch grammar and vocabulary is applied in daily conversations).
It’s is more than just a book: every lesson is a completely prepared set of presentations, role plays, games, speaking exercises, with a strong focus on applying vocabulary and grammar in real conversations.
Our method is based on the flipped classroom. Learn more in this article why the flipped classroom is so effective.
E-learning: special offer!
The students of the Dutch Summer School will get free access to the e-learning package during the course:
– #dutchgrammar-1 (from 0 till A1)
– #dutchgrammar-2 (from A1 till A2)
– #dutchgrammar-3 (A2/B1)
Access is included:
– for from 1 month before the course until 1 month after the course
Can’t wait? You can also buy premium access that gives you 1 year access to these packages (49€ + tax per level). It can be helpful:
– to prepare online prior to the summer
– to review after your summer school participation
Everyone can buy e-learning package #dutchgrammar (also if you don’t attend the summer course).
Summer vs. rest of the year
July / August – Drenthe
- 2 weeks: arrival on Monday, class in week 1: from Tu-Sa, week2: Mo-Th; departure on Friday.
- rest day (Sunday) at the end of week 1
- social activities like bbq, borrel, international evening (optional, not included in tuition fee)
- not fundable with the STAP-budget
Rest of the year – Drenthe
- weekend+week+weekend: arrival on Friday, class 9 days in a row: sa, su, mo, tu, we, th, fr, sa, su
- no rest day
- no social activities
- fundable with the STAP-budget (levels 3, 4, 5, 6)
July / August – Amsterdam
- 2 full weeks: Monday-Friday in week 1 & 2
- 2 rest days (weekend)
- no social activities
- fundable with STAP-budget (levels 3, 4)
Rest of the year – Amsterdam
- at the moment we don’t offer courses in Amsterdam outside the Summer period
Bart de Pau Language Courses BV is a registered exam institution for the CNaVT exam. CNaVT stands for ‘Certificaat Nederlands als Vreemde Taal’.
There are 5 different exams:
– A2 – Maatschappelijk informeel
– B1 – Maatschappelijk formeel
– B2 – Zakelijk professioneel
– B2 – Educatief startbekwaam
– C1 – Educatief professioneel
CNaVT is an officially recognised certificate.
– A2 or B1 may* give you exemption from certain parts of civic integration exam (in the Netherlands and Belgium), and may* be accepted in your procedure to get a Dutch passport
– B2 Educatief may* allow to to enter a university (to do a study in Dutch)
– B1/B2 may* allow you to work in certain sectors (healthcare, BIG-register)
– C1 Educatief may* allow you to teach in Dutch
* please note: we write ‘may’ -> we recommend to check for your specific situation if and which CNaVT certificate is accepted.
The CNaVT exam is held every year in May. Students of Bart de Pau Language Courses BV have the chance to register for this exam and do the exam 15 May 2023 at the language campus in Drenthe. In 2023 we offer the first 3 listed options (A2/B1/B2). Costs of the exam 95-105 euros (exam costs) + 65 euros (administration costs). r
More information: cnavt.org
Dutch Summer School on TV
At the 4th of August 2015, at our first year, a TV-crew of RTV Drenthe visited the Dutch Summer School for an item in the regional news program.
English subtitles added. Source: RTV Drenthe.