Study Dutch and explore Amsterdam!
The Dutch Summer School Amsterdam is an intensive Dutch language course, given in July/August 2022.
The programme is ideal for those, who come from abroad:
– without or with accommodation*
– school and student residence are located in the same part of the city
* From 2022 we won’t offer the accommodation as part of a package fee. Instead, you can book the accommodation directly with our partner ‘The Student Hotel – Amsterdam West’.
Amsterdam or Drenthe?
Click here to learn about the differences.
Programme & Prices – 2022
– Drenthe or Amsterdam
– with or without accommodation
– level 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6 (read: level descriptions)
– 1 or more sessions
Levels are successive. If you choose more than 1 session: make a separate booking for the next level at a later date.
Example: if you want to do a 4-week course starting from beginner, book level 1 (starting 20th of June) + level 2 (starting 4th of July).
The prices of offline courses include: coffee/tea/water during lessons, access to online package #dutchgrammar-1, #dutchgrammar 2 and #dutchgrammar-3 (from 1 month before the course until 1 month after the course), 1 academic hour = 45 minutes. Book not included (€ 39).
* Starting from 2022: the Amsterdam accommodation is not offered as part of a package fee. If you want to do the course with accommodation in Amsterdam, you will pay the lessons-only fee, and you will receive a link to book directly at The Student Hotel – Amsterdam West. The mentioned price is an indication and may fluctuate. Terms of The Student Hotel will apply. The Summer School in Drenthe will continue to offer it’s services as a package fee where you pay for course and accommodation at the same time.
Our Dutch lessons are interactive, with a high focus on conversation, given by enthusiastic teachers. Although the teacher will speak Dutch from the beginning as much as possible, we use English to explain things on the lower levels (mainly level 1, 2 and a bit on level 3). On the higher levels (4, 5, 6), the teacher speaks only in Dutch. Maximum group size is 16 students.
We use our own book:
– ‘Het Lesboek-1’ from 0 to A2 (level 1, level 2)
– ‘Het Lesboek-2’ from A2 to B1 (level 3, level 4)
– ‘Het Lesboek-3’ B1/B2 (level 5, 6)
Read more here: level descriptions.
Homework & e-learning: doing the homework is essential (count on at least 3-4 hours per day). Part of the homework consists of online materials. With these materials you prepare for the next day’s lesson: that makes the classroom lesson more efficient and interactive.
Our method is based on the flipped classroom. Learn more in this article why the flipped classroom is so effective.
Easy going …
We think learning Dutch in a pleasant and sociable atmosphere is important: not to be afraid to make mistakes.
The experience of a summer school is maximised when you meet new people with the same goals. Study together, do homework together, explore the city together and once in a while … just relax.
We do not force you to participate in additional group events. Each person is different and you should do what you like. We are easy going: no obligations … (except doing your homework!)
Please note: from 2022 Amsterdam accommodation is not offered as part of a package fee, you can book the accommodation directly at The Student Hotel – Amsterdam West. The terms and conditions of the hotel will apply.
The student hotel offers a single room with a private bathroom. The room has a desk, a television, and wifi internet. There is a weekly cleaning / change of linen. You get a bike to use for free, which is the fastest way to move around in the city.
There is a canteen (with cheap meal plans), a gym (free), a library / study area (free), a gaming room (free), a laundry service (paid).
Great value in a city with sky rocket hotel prices!
Amsterdam is the capital of the Netherlands. A city with a rich history and culture. If you want to get to know the Netherlands, then start here!
Amsterdam is a multicultural city: many expats, tourists and international students. Inhabitants of Amsterdam are open and friendly. You will find out how easy it is to get to know new people. All chances to practise your Dutch (although locals are used to speaking English to foreigners).
Amsterdam is located centrally in the Netherlands. From airport to city: just a few minutes by public transport. Other Dutch cities (Rotterdam, Utrecht, The Hague) are easy to reach by train in less than an hour. Tourist attractions: Zaanse Schans (windmills), Alkmaar (cheese market) and Volendam (typical Dutch fishermen’s village) are located within half an hour.
From student residence: 5-10 minutes per bike / 10-20 minutes walk.